Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars.
Let me start by saying I absolutely love this song and the album it comes from.
Which makes this video all the more HORRENDOUS. Let me explain: part of the reason I like Sleigh Bells is due to the overdubbed female vocals. The fact that the singer used to be in a teenpop group only adds to the awesome playground clapping song charm of it. When I listen to the track it puts me in mind of a small army of gum-chewing schoolgirls who may seem innocent at first, but the immense CRUNCH of guitar shows they have a nasty bite and are not about to take any shit off YOU, Mr Grown-up. The sudden loud feedback is perfect for a scene of tower block demolition/universe creation/batshit skipping choreography/everyone suddenly turning into a vampire/whatever. It’s a big reveal — IMHO the whole song relies on it, and I was very much looking forward to what the video director would choose to accompany it.
With this in mind, my problems with the video are thus:
- I am reminded that there is only one of Alexis
- she is not dressed like a T-1000 or similar arse-kicking device/character
- she is walking too slowly and doesn’t actually go anywhere or do anything apart from take her jacket off
- she does not hit anything with the baseball bat but CHUCKS IT AWAY
- the dude with the guitar joins her but no-one else does, so there is a big empty street behind them failing to be full of gum-chewing schoolgirls hell bent on revenging their murdered Geography teacher (or equivalent)
- a sofa is set on fire before the Big Reveal but that’s it. I would prefer to have either everything on fire or nothing on fire until the end. Doing things in half measures lessens the impact. ARGH.
- The first part of the Big Reveal involves some cheerleaders STANDING ABOUT. They would have been better used in the first half where there is actual stompy cheery clapping to do some cheering to. Have Sleigh Bells never watched Bring It On? Cheerleaders are often talented gymnasts! Why are you not taking advantage of this with some perky, cute & popular-to-boot BACKFLIPS? Or if that’s too much then at least some EVIL cheerleaders who smoke cigarettes and ride motorbikes?
- The second part of the Big Reveal is Alexis and Guitar Dude watching a small pile of guitars be on fire. This is not Infinity Guitars! This is INFLAMMABLE GUITARS. No explosions. No earthquakes. Not even a zombie attack. Just a sad little bonfire of approximately seven guitars. FFS dudes, I know you’re probably on a budget but I could generate a higher number of guitars with the free editing software that came with my four-year-old laptop. I am very disappointed in this video and *shudder* I think I like the song less every time I watch it. SAD. FACE.